Drive of the Day - Sweden day 2: Andreas Mikkelsen


By Anthony Peacock

As team leader for Volkswagen Motorsport, Sebastien Ogier isn't exactly used to being beaten by his team-mate – not when it comes to stage times at least.

But this time it looks like Ogier might just have a worthy rival in Andreas Mikkelsen, who has been given the drive in the second Volkswagen Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000 on selected events this year.

So far Mikkelsen has taken the fight to Ogier with determination, making him one of the favourites to land the second permanent seat alongside the Frenchman next year.

"It's been a good start to this rally, but there are a few things still to come," said the 22-year-old Norwegian, who normally drives a Fabia S2000 for the Skoda UK team in the Intercontinental Rally Challenge. "I'm already used to the car and I love driving on snow, so it hasn't taken me a long time to adapt."

Mikkelsen became the youngest driver ever to score world championship points when he finished fifth on the 2008 Rally Sweden.

"It's a fantastic experience being here now in a factory team like Volkswagen: it's a huge organisation and you learn so much from it," added the 22-year-old.

"It's been great working with Sebastien Ogier too: he has been absolutely fantastic with me and we have a very good relationship. I don't know what the future holds for me with Volkswagen, but I just want to make the most of the chance that I have now."

Source: Max Rally