Meeke congratulates new star Mikkelsen

Source: ircseries

Former Intercontinental Rally Challenge champion Kris Meeke has told how he watched Andreas Mikkelsen capture this year’s title on the Cyprus Rally live on Eurosport – and then sent a text message to the ŠKODA UK Motorsport driver to offer him his congratulations.

Meeke claimed the IRC crown in 2009, putting the title beyond doubt with victory on Rallye Sanremo. Mikkelsen was one of five drivers competing in Cyprus last week in contention for top IRC honours.

“I sent him a text message saying I knew how good it felt,” said Meeke. “I was watching on TV and it brought back lots of emotions from when I won the title. Andreas went to hug his brother after completing the stage and I did the same to my brother at the end of the last stage in Sanremo.”

Of Mikkelsen’s achievement this season, Meeke said the Norwegian’s triumph was richly deserved. “He was a class act on the last two rallies,” added the former Peugeot UK ace.