Emotional Mikkelsen celebrates IRC title

Source: MaxRally

Norwegian star Andreas Mikkelsen says that winning the IRC title for Skoda UK has been the most emotional experience of his rallying career.

"To become IRC champion is such a fantastic feeling, the likes of which I have never felt before,” he said. “The last three stages of this rally were the longest of my life and I was imagining so much noise in the car that I’ve never heard before. Crossing the finish line was very emotional and I was crying like a baby! It’s been a tough season, which didn’t start so well in Monte Carlo but which has got better and better. We’ve had a fantastic second half of the year and, wow, to finish with a win in Cyprus and the IRC drivers’ title – I can hardly believe it has happened. It’s like a dream.”

Mikkelsen won both the Rally Cyprus and the Colin McRae Flat Out Trophy (the second time he has won the trophy this year). He also concluded the year with the highest number of fastest stage times – 38 – of all the drivers in the IRC.

Factory Skoda driver Jan Kopecky finished second to clinch the runner-up spot in the IRC series for the third consecutive year.

>>>Video